What to do if you get into an accident.
September 9, 2015
Accidents happen.Being prepared for one even if you are not expecting it can save you lots of headache down the line. Here are some of the things you should keep in mind in case of an accident:
- Move to a Safe Area (if you can) If you are uninjured, turn your hazard lights on and move the car to a safe location away from traffic, like a shoulder.
- Safely get out of the vehicle Make sure the car has come to a full stop and it is in park or the handbrake is on. Make sure it is safe to exit the car before walking outside.
- Check On Others Make sure no other passengers or by-standers are injured. If someone is hurt call 9-1-1.
- Call the Police to the Scene Even in minor accidents, a police accident report can prove invaluable when dealing with your car insurance company and other drivers. Cooperate fully, but avoid admitting fault or blaming others while at the scene. Let the police objectively judge events and determine who, if anyone, was at fault for the crash.
- Gather Information and Document the Scene
Write down as much information as possible, including but not limited to:
- Driver and passenger names, phone numbers
- License plate numbers
- Insurance information
- Make and model of all vehicles involved
- Contact info for any eyewitnesses
- Location of the accident
- Precinct, name and the badge number of the responding police offers. Take lots of photos of the scene and the damages with your smartphone or camera.
- Call Us! We will help you through the entire repair process from towing to filing a claim. The entire process will be painless and easy.